Framestore's New York studio is looking for a staff Art Director to join our busy facility working across a diverse range and high-end creative content
The Art Director will work closely with the Creative Directors, Producers and Artists in New York providing art direction and creative leadership to projects from pitching and pre production through to delivery, with the goal of ensuring consistently high quality of visual work throughout the studio.
Day to day the Art Director will be involved in pitching for projects, putting together pitch decks, ideation and visual development for projects in both pre production and during production. We are a small Design team in New York and everyone works on a broad variety of tasks, so along with the focus on art direction there will also be on the box requirements on projects as needed.
It is essential for the Art Director to have extensive experience in a wide variety of visual styles, with previous experience as an art director and senior designer, a brilliant aesthetic with a wide variety of looks, and a great understanding of the creative process.
- Provide art direction to generate inspirational, conceptual and creative ideas collaborating with the creative directors and producers.
- Involvement in pitches, working on the ideation process and putting together look frames for pitch decks illustrating creative concepts across a wide variety of styles and aesthetic looks
- Briefing other members of the artist team and leading successful creative sessions for project kick-offs
- Leading projects both independently or with others seniors members of the team, depending on the project, schedule and team
- Create and design where necessary, in collaboration with others or individually to suit the task at hand
- Present concepts and design ideas to clients, interpreting feedback and making recommendations where appropriate
- Create style frames, storyboards and animatics, animate and deliver projects from beginning to end
- Keep an overview on technology and software advances, strive to be up to date with the best tools for the team
- Involvement in recruitment and mentoring junior artists in New York , with a focus on the design team
- Maintain and constantly push the quality of output for the New York office
- Work Directly with the Head of US Design to further establish a Design offering.
- 10+ years experience in working as an art director and senior designer with a wide variety of styles and looks on the reel as well as a great eye and aesthetic
- Degree in design/animation/motion GFX or similar
- After effects/C4D animation skills at a senior level, along with adobe creative suite skills
- Demonstrated successful background in pitching and a genuine love for the project development process
- Extensive and illustrated concept art experience
- Ability to work with directors, production designers, producers, VFX supervisors and concept artists
- Good leadership skills, and an ability to lead projects from conception to completion
- Understanding and experience of directing CG - must be able to work together with CG artists to help drive creative
- Clear presentations skills to inspire the artist team and to present company goals and creative vision
- Ability to mentor junior staff
- Experience working with concept artists and VFX teams, in both 2D and 3D
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, and communicate and articulate your ideas well
- Ability and love of telling stories
- Excellent collaboration skills and a strong desire to work in a fast past global company, always looking to produce the best work across all areas
Framestore is proud to employ extraordinary talent across all genders, races, nationalities, religions, ages, abilities and sexual preferences. We aim to encourage and support all of our current and future employees to achieve their potential. No job applicant will receive less favourable treatment on any basis when applying for a career with us.