Digital Matte Painter (DMP) - Film & Episodic
Digital Matte Painters are responsible for painting photo real CG environments, elements and textures for matching into live action plates or to stand on their own as DMP plates. Digital matte paintings may also be used in a 3D environment and require a high level of technical skill and artistic judgement.
This is a cross-discipline role and requires abilities in modeling, layout, matte/texture painting, lighting, rendering and compositing, as well as a strong understanding of all facets of a CG production including colour theory and LUT. A strong understanding and sympathy for real world materials and lighting is essential. DMP artists will work closely with the CG environment artists with a strong commitment to teamwork and technical accomplishments.
Please note we are currently looking for experience DMP artists with immediate availability. You must be in the UK with the right to work or be set up to freelance from Europe.
Hear more from one of our current matte painters here
- Able to create photo-realistic digital matte paintings
- Understand all aspects of the digi-matte workflow with a strong knowledge of how to combine 2D and 3D elements
- Experience working with shoot data including photographic and reference data, HDRIs and photogrammetry
- Assist with and develop the look of a shot/sequence in liaison with the supervision team
- Work in partnership with CG environment artists and Compositors to ensure shots are delivered to the very highest standard
- Work closely with the VFX Supervisor and Lead Digital Matte Painter to ensure that the plates meet planned concept design requirements
- Seek out and build own photographic reference material
- Communicate creative and technical issues effectively
- Stay on schedule and meet set deadlines while maintaining the highest standards
- Communicate regularly with Production and Leads regarding schedules and deadlines
- Share techniques, reference materials and ideas with the team
- Continue to become familiar with new tools, software, data and other related technology
- Previous experience in a similar role
- A thorough working knowledge of Photoshop and a good understanding of Nuke and Maya
- Strong artistic skills with a particular emphasis on real-world lighting/photography an asset
- Ability to split and build your own projection set up
- A good understanding of the entire visual effects process
- Strong knowledge of camera focal lengths, a good sense of composition and an understanding of different out-put requirements
- Creative problem solving skills
- Able to take directions and adaptable to change
- An understanding of 2D compositing software
- Previous experience working in a Linux environment
- Experience of taking photo references to build DMP
- A traditional arts background with an emphasis on photo-realistic work and environments
- Experience with concept art
Framestore is proud to employ extraordinary talent across all genders, races, nationalities, religions, ages, abilities and sexual preferences. We aim to encourage and support all of our current and future employees to achieve their potential. No job applicant will receive less favourable treatment on any basis when applying for a career with us.