Lead Technical Artist - Engine
Framestore is a world leader in visual effects and animation across Film, TV, Advertising and Immersive. Having won multiple industry awards for our work, Framestore is now looking to bring the same level of excellence to our real-time Engine capabilities.
The Lead Technical Artist will be responsible for guiding the work of the asset and content creation teams to ensure that best practices are followed in order to achieve the highest possible technical quality of asset production. As a bridge between the artists and programmers, the Lead Technical Artist will ensure the art content and features are easily integrated, while respecting the artistic vision and technical constraints of the project. You will work closely with the Technical Directors and the engineering team to help implement technical art features and new technologies into the projects.
Successful candidates for this role will join an Engine team at the cutting edge of shaping the future of how VFX and real-time engines evolve within the context of the film, television & immersive industries.
- Work with the CG Lead, Tech Art Supervisor and Lead Developer to design and implement optimal workflows, tools and processes for content creation
- Produce documentation on tools, methods, training, processes, and engine constraints for future reference and consultation
- Coordinate and act as a contact between the content creation team and the programming team
- Ensure assets are of the highest technical quality
- Collaborate with programmers to develop and test new features, prototype shader code, and provide useful feedback during R&D phases
- Test new tools before deployment into production
- Drive optimisation and debugging to fix issues raised
- Develop or find the best tools and methods possible for improving and facilitating the work of the artists
- Demonstrate a high level of technical knowledge combined with strong creative and visual instincts
- Inspire and empower the art team to optimise their processes
Required Skills / Experience
- 5+ years of experience as Technical Artist
- Extensive experience working with Unreal Engine.
- Advanced experience with a range of content creation software, including Maya, Substance Designer/Painter, Houdini
- Detailed knowledge of the technical constraints of engines and the different game platforms
- Knowledge of an asset management system, eg Perforce
- Highly committed and able to work independently and as part of a team
- Positive attitude towards learning and sharing
- Extremely organised with excellent attention to detail
- Deadline oriented; able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Able to solve problems as they arise and remain calm in high-pressure situations