Animation Technical Director
Method Studios’ film and episodic teams are integrating with Framestore as part of an exciting plan to offer innovative, best-in-class visual effects animation from four continents.
Method’s Montreal, Melbourne and Vancouver studios are in the process of being integrated with Framestore, and we hope to have this work fully completed by March 2022.
For the time-being your contract and recruitment contact will depend on which studio you apply for, but wherever you are based we look forward to welcoming you to the Framestore family.
Method Vancouver is currently looking for an Animation Technical Director to join our amazing team. Reporting to the Head of Animation, the Animation Technical Director’s primary responsibility is to help maintain the efficient flow of work into and out of the Animation Department, enabling artists to be creative and deliver stunning imagery.
In this role, you will:
- Interact with the animators, production teams and other departments to effectively solve problems and escalate any issues;
- Work with the Animation Supervisor and artists to determine workflows and gather pipeline and tools requirements;
- Develop Animation workflow tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by the department and technical supervisors;
- In collaboration with the Software team, design, develop and maintain libraries for our core animation pipeline tools to meet the requirements of current visual effects projects;
- Help define efficient workflows and promote best practices for shows and the facility;
- Apply technical fixes to shots to pass down the pipeline;
- Test and validate tools and techniques in production;
- Create and communicate documentation about developed tools and train other users to use the developed tools.
This job is for you if:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Computer Visualization, or Computer Animation required or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 3+ years of experience working on visual effects for film, commercials or feature animation;
- Demonstrated ability to work with strict deadlines and under pressure;
- Ability to take direction and find creative solutions during the iterative process;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Ability to work within a team and with other departments;
- Excellent organization and communication skills;
- Ability to perform multiple tasks, set priorities and problem-solving;
- Proficiency in Linux and Advanced Python Scripting experience;
- Advanced knowledge of Maya;
- Experience with Shotgun is considered an asset;
- Knowledge of the C++ programming language is considered an asset;
Interested? What are you waiting for? Apply now; we can't wait to get to know you!
Creativity has diversity at its heart. We celebrate the value of every unique experience by dedicating ourselves to promoting the most diverse and fair and inclusive culture where employees feel empowered and safe to present themselves at work as such.
Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Therefore, please inform the company’s HR representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.