Framestore's LA office is looking for an experienced VFX Editorial Supervisor to join our team, supporting a broad range of live-action and computer generated projects with a variety of digital content including theme park rides, commercials, brand work, episodic, immersive and features.
The Editorial department within Framestore's LA studio is a busy and energetic workplace and forms the central hub around which our larger VFX jobs are built. It is responsible for all VFX shot management, edit updates, wip deliveries and client reviews.
The Editorial Supervisor must demonstrate strong leadership skills, be highly self-motivated, proactive, and be able to work independently and as part of a team with internal and external clients. The Editorial Supervisor must have a fundamental understanding of a large scale centralized server environment, knowledge of video color space, and extensive practical experience with professional editing techniques.
Although Framestore is still currently working remotely, this is a staff position that would eventually require working on site at our Culver City studio once it is deemed safe to do so.
- Management of all staff and freelance editors including all appraisals with HR.
- Oversee editorial workflow for Los Angeles office, ensuring all editorial output is correct and in line with specified project workflow, and troubleshooting with Supervisors and Heads of Department as/when necessary
- Train editorial team where required.
- Ensure successful documentation of editorial workflow and common practices. Create documentation as required.
- Work closely with Pipeline teams to constantly assess and optimize templates, tools, and workflow
- Make recommendations to the Head of Operations on equipment, software and spacing needs for Editorial.
- Ensure successful edit and dailies sessions on all projects.
- Ensure successful communication across the editorial team, production and supervisors.
- Lead by example; encourage editorial team to be proactive and problem solvers
- Work with talent & recruitment team to interview and make recommendations on best-candidates for editorial staff.
- Conforming timelines from client provided EDL, XML, AAF and meticulously checking against provided offline reference for accuracy
- Organizing and preparing transcoded plates and publishing them to the facility's VFX pipeline.
- Updating Shotgun, plates, etc. as edit changes come from client, and communicating those changes to the production team
- Maintaining an up-to-date edit, accommodating edit changes from clients and updating shots within an internal VFX pipeline
- Working closely with show’s internal production crew, supervisors & creative leads and comprehending the project's on-going editorial needs
- Preparing & running internal and client reviews
- Exporting & posting WIP edits to a facility web-based browser
- Delivering conform edits to Color / DI / finishing departments
- Working closely with Digital intermediate Assistants and Colorists
- 3+ years in a leadership role over a multi-person department
- Experience working within a large studio environment and robust pipeline
- A thorough understanding of editorial workflow principles (EDLs, XMLs, AAFs, file formats, frame rates, colorspace, time warps, tracking, basic compositing, etc)
- Working knowledge of Foundry’s Hiero software, or working knowledge of NLE principals and workflows from another professional NLE software (Avid, Flame, Adobe Premiere, etc)
- Must be highly organised and have the ability to juggle several jobs at once in a highly efficient manner.
- Experience and ability to deal with live review sessions.
- Calm under pressure.
- Ability to teach and mentor other members of the team.
- Comfortable working in client attended sessions.
- An understanding and commitment to providing superior service to clients, both from a technical and creative point of view.
- Very strong interpersonal and communication skills with both clients and staff at all levels.
- Work within the team of artists as well as individually.
- Communicates with other VFX staff and departments on status of work.
- Able to manage time effectively and give accurate assessments of the workload and the time required to complete tasks.
- The ability to multitask, prioritize, delegate, and problem solve in a fast paced, professional environment
- Must have valid US work authorization
- Familiarity with Visual Effects Render Farm software
- Experience with Baselight and Flame a plus
- Experience working with and directly engaging outside clients during edit sessions
- Experience on long format collaborative projects spread across several weeks or months
- Python programming knowledge
- Keen understanding of Colorspace and LUT workflow
Framestore is proud to employ extraordinary talent across all genders, races, nationalities, religions, ages, abilities and sexual preferences. We aim to encourage and support all of our current and future employees to achieve their potential. No job applicant will receive less favourable treatment on any basis when applying for a career with us.