FX Technical Director
Framestore’s New York studio is expanding our staff CG team, and are looking for a FX Technical Director to join our busy facility working across a diverse range and high-end creative content.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working as a hands on artist, and we are looking for candidates with at least 2 years professional experience working on a variety of film, television and/or advertising projects.
This is a full-time staff role with benefits, and although we are currently working remotely, this position will eventually require at least some onsite in our New York studio.
- Taking briefs and direction from CG Supervisors to execute assigned shots or tasks
- Creating particle, rigid-body, fluid, cloth, fur and/or hair simulations or animations
- Applying lighting and shaders to produce the final rendered image or passing the simulation on to a Lighting Technical Director
- Using a variety of commercial and proprietary FX tools including Maya and Houdini
- Working in partnership with other departments to ensure that shots are delivered to the highest possible standard
- Working within the team to determine the various design solutions needed to create the effects
- Designing and creating images, elements, effects, pipelines, tools and techniques
- Helping to design solutions involving a more procedural approach in order to create the effects required
- Producing reviewable composites of all FX elements for a shot.
- FX TDs will be expected to produce final renders
- An excellent knowledge of Houdini and/or Maya
- A thorough understanding of the techniques and technologies relating to FX simulation and procedural animation
- Previous experience producing effects such as smoke, fire, clouds, water, steam and explosions in addition to simulation techniques for rigid-bodies, cloth and hair
- A good understanding of animation and an eye for motion
- A working knowledge of Vray or Arnold
- A good understanding of the entire visual effects process
- A familiarity with pipeline issues, especially working between multiple packages
- A working knowledge of at least one compositing application (e.g. Nuke) and a solid understanding of the compositing process
- A good understanding of Vex, hscript and/or Mel scripting skills
Framestore is proud to employ extraordinary talent across all genders, races, nationalities, religions, ages, abilities and sexual preferences. We aim to encourage and support all of our current and future employees to achieve their potential. No job applicant will receive less favourable treatment on any basis when applying for a career with us.