FX Technical Director Lead
Method Studios’ film and episodic teams are integrating with Framestore as part of an exciting plan to offer innovative, best-in-class visual effects animation from four continents.
Method’s Montreal, Melbourne and Vancouver studios are in the process of being integrated with Framestore, and we hope to have this work fully completed by March 2022.
For the time-being your contract and recruitment contact will depend on which studio you apply for, but wherever you are based we look forward to welcoming you to the Framestore family.
Method Vancouver is on the hunt for a Lead FX TD to help create high-quality particle, fluid or effects simulations and lead a small FX team. Reporting to FX Department Supervisor, the Lead FX TD help realize the vision of the shots through the FX team. The ideal candidate will be able to deliver high-quality effects with minimal direction and in an efficient manner.
In this role, you will:
- Responsible for working with the FX Department Supervisor to assess, assign and monitor FX needs;
- Create complex, film-quality shots to a project’s particular specifications;
- Follow design references accurately and work in a wide range of styles;
- Offer guidance and mentoring for junior to mid-level FX Artist and FX TD and provide help to solve Effects problems;
- Work within studio best practices, follow guidelines and keep scenes clean and organized;
- Prioritize and revise work based on direction from supervisors;
- Work closely with other artists under tight production schedules;
- Respond quickly to the needs of management and clients;
- Seek out pertinent references to help the FX team;
- Work with a team of artists in a hands-on capacity to ensure technically and artistically proper implementation of effects;
- Accountable for meeting productivity and quota targets on time and at a high level of quality;
- Clearly communicate progress, issues and workload to Production;
- Design and develop procedural and innovative toolsets, pipelines and techniques for the FX Artist and FX TD and make sure it meets their needs.
This job is for you if:
- 5+ years’ of experience minimum in the VFX industry;
- A good eye for speed, timing scale and weight;
- Proficiency in creating a high level of dynamics, article effects and debris animation;
- Strong knowledge of Houdini;
- Capacity to create efficient render passes;
- Python programming skills or capacity to create tools and scripts to facilitate workflow;
- Excellent attention to detail when finalizing and quality controlling assets;
- Strong attention to detail and follow-through;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas in a professional and positive manner;
- Ability to improvise and problem-solve;
- Ability to mentor coworkers;
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and manage time efficiently;
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team, often with multiple tasks and under deadline pressure;
- Prior experience in a leadership position.
Interested? What are you waiting for? Apply now; we can't wait to get to know you!
Creativity has diversity at its heart. We celebrate the value of every unique experience by dedicating ourselves to promoting the most diverse and fair, and inclusive culture where employees feel empowered and safe to present themselves at work as such.
Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. Therefore, please inform the company's HR representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.