Head of Technical Operations
Framestore is home to award winning visionaries working across Film, Integrated Advertising and the digital realm. We are looking to hire a Head of Technical Operations to work at our growing Chicago studio.
The Head of Technical Operations is responsible for ensuring business continuity in a rapidly evolving, highly technical, and frequently demanding environment. Anticipating production needs, resource planning and prioritizing/coordinating staff development and training.
This is a “lead by example” position and the ideal candidate will have hands-on experience. The role requires the ability to delegate as much as it requires the ability to roll up your sleeves and dive into technical challenges. The ideal candidate will have responsibility for setting and achieving the goals and objectives for the department. They will need to work to ensure that the Systems team maintains a skills base able to respond to all forms of Systems related technical support.
In addition to setting and achieving the goals and objectives for the department, the Head of Technical Operations will also be responsible for ensuring that the Systems team maintains high standards in technical skills, problem resolution, clear communication and industry best practices. The ideal candidate will be able to translate organizational direction into the specific team and individual job expectations, managing performance through effective monitoring, coaching, and feedback.
This is a full-time staff role with benefits, and although we are currently working remotely, this position will eventually require working onsite in our Chicago studio.
- Provide technical leadership, supervision, and mentoring to the senior technical members of the systems group
- Creation of technical documentation for systems teams using flow charts, sequence diagrams etc to guide the implementation planning of proposed designs. Implement proof of concept for technical projects
- Liaise with development teams and client departments ensuring their needs are met as a result of the proposed architecture
- Come up with innovative ideas to improve efficiency and satisfy technical requirements within the best possible price/performance ratio
- Investigate, research and evaluate external suppliers and propose optimum solutions based on cost/benefit analysis between internally developed and off the shelf solutions. Maintain an awareness of the latest relevant technology developments and current budgetary constraints
- Drive performance metrics and champion benchmarking. Work with technical teams and external suppliers to ensure evaluation of equipment is balanced and informed
- Advise and support the implementation of location-based technical projects
- Organize relevant technical training and motivational events to maintain optimum team skills and efficiency as required
- Provide input into the budgeting process for core infrastructure CAPEX
- Represent the company at relevant external events (e.g. conferences, trade shows), and with relevant suppliers as required
- Involvement in advising for the recruitment of Systems and systems development staff.
- Plan, install, and support servers, large storage file systems, and network infrastructure
- Edit and create scripts as appropriate to facilitate the automation of systems activities.
- Monitor incoming requests and delegate work efficiently to ensure the successful completion of projects and tasks.
- Minimum 8 years of hands-on Linux System Administration experience.
- A proactive leader with strong analytical, organization, and communication skills and the ability to exert positive influence across all levels of Framestore business
- An open leadership style coupled with a client-focused approach to service
- Ability to lead, motivate and support the Global and Local Systems team agenda towards shared goals and responsibilities
- Ability to solve problems as they arise and remain calm in a fast-paced and highly pressurized environment
- Ability to manage conflicting demands and demonstrate flexibility and tact in resolution
- Ability to quickly intuit the needs of the business and respond accordingly
- Experience in managing performance and appraising productivity
- Experience in complex project management, scheduling and delivery
- Thorough knowledge of the specialized systems utilized in the VFX and/or HPC industries
- A solid grounding in core technologies such as the TCP/IP protocols, Active Directory, advanced security administration, and high-performance storage concepts.
- Thorough knowledge of one or more scripting languages such as Shell/Bash, Python
- Knowledge of orchestration and automation such as puppet, ansible, CI/CD and GIT.
Framestore is proud to employ extraordinary talent across all genders, races, nationalities, religions, ages, abilities and sexual preferences. We aim to encourage and support all of our current and future employees to achieve their potential. No job applicant will receive less favourable treatment on any basis when applying for a career with us.