Senior Look Development Artist
Method Studios’ film and episodic teams are integrating with Framestore as part of an exciting plan to offer innovative, best-in-class visual effects animation from four continents. Method’s Montreal, Melbourne and Vancouver studios are in the process of being integrated with Framestore.
The Look Development Artist will create materials for CG props, characters and environments and assist in the stylised or photoreal look development of these assets..
- Take textured models from the asset department and push shader qualities to an accepted level.
- Create shaders that react realistically to light and obey physical and natural phenomenon.
- Creating render rigs where applicable.
- Finalise assets technically and aesthetically.
- ·Develop a pre-set shader bank for different surface qualities.
- Work collaboratively with other departments.
- Mentoring junior artists
- Adhering to existing pipeline, procedures and workflows.
- 5+ years experience as a Look Dev artist
- Experience in surfacing and shading characters/environments/props for feature films.
- Diploma or degree preferred
- Ability to come up with creative, efficient rendering solutions for a wide variety of assets including fur, skin, hard surface etc.
- Strong look development skills both artistically and technically with great experience and understanding of shading, rendering, colour, photography etc.
- Strong knowledge of Maya, Photoshop and Linux.
- Adavanced knowledg of Vray rendering.
- Basic knowledge of other renderers, 3Delight, Renderman etc.
- Basic knowledge of shading and srufacing writing.
- Some experience with Mari, Zbrush, Mudbox, or other texture and normal/displacement map generation is a plus.
- Some Texturing and/or Lighting experience.
- Experience with all aspects of the rendering pipeline.
- A passion for the craft and a willingness to learn new techniques and software.
- Ability to quickly interpret producers and supervisors briefs and devise effective solutions.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- Flexible and able to work within timelines – ability to reasonably estimate time and evaluate scope for jobs.
- Ability to consistently produce work of an appropriate standard.