Senior visual development artist (Creature design)
The Visual Development Artist helps to reduce the number of iterations in more expensive departments in the Film division by producing effective images that will help to answer creative questions on asset designs and builds (characters, props, vehicles, environments, fx) or help to define shot moods. The images should be generated from the available elements for that shot/asset (renders, models, etc...) when possible, in the aim of accelerating the incorporation of the creative notes into the actual asset/shot builds.
Framestore is known for its amazing work on all types of creatures. We are currently looking for an experienced creature/character design artist to join the team and work on a wide range of projects. From hyper-realistic animals to magical creatures, your imagination is the only boundary. Being part of the team will also lead you to work on the other aspects of our projects including vehicles, props and environments.
- Being part of the Visual development team and working closely with the supervisors, the Head of Creatures and the Head of visual development to provide photorealistic images using both 2D and 3D processes and helping to answer creative and technical questions during asset/shot development.
- Helping supervisors sell their vision for a shot/asset to clients by coming up with original designs and good visual references.
- Working on tight deadlines with frequent outputs when necessary.
- Working to get approvals on looks quickly to give time for the downstream departments to achieve these looks through proper builds.
- Working closely with other departments and HODs to make sure they can incorporate in the full builds and everything they can from the visual development process.
Experience and essential skills:
- Extensive experience designing characters and creatures for films and/or high end video games
- Extensive visual background
- Good experience in film VFX 3D processes
- Previous experience in illustration/2D/architecture/product design
- Excellent knowledge of shortcuts available to create powerful visuals under pressure and short turn around times
- Ability to translate supervisors and client needs/briefs into visuals in an efficient manner
- Good attention to detail and a proactive approach to identify and resolve visual issues in order to maintain quality and logic within the outputs
- Knowledge of a wide variety of software (to update frequently to keep up)
- Strong demonstrable experience in frame/shot composition
- Good working knowledge of cinematography in a virtual environment
- Ability to take direction and feedback from a supervisor
- Able to create organized scripts/scenes/2D documents
- Previous experience in film/animation- production/pipeline
- Good understanding of practical cameras
- Digital Matte Painting experience is a plus
- Modeling/Texturing/Lighting/Comp basics
- At ease with creating various kinds of work: environments, creatures, weapons, fx, architecture
- Working knowledge in the following fields a plus: geology, anatomy, industrial design, physics, architecture
Framestore is proud to employ extraordinary talent across all genders, races, nationalities, religions, ages, abilities and sexual preferences. We aim to encourage and support all of our current and future employees to achieve their potential. No job applicant will receive less favourable treatment on any basis when applying for a career with us.